>> Maybe it's a stealth upgrade to newer *ist-D's <<

I doubt that, for two reasons:

1) I emailed the Image Resource reviewer a few weeks ago asking if he was
ever going to review the *ist D. He replied that he'd started an *ist D
review a long time ago but had been unable to find the time to finish it.
So, if there had been a recent slipstream to USB 2.0, he probably wouldn't
have it.

2) My *ist D arrived from Adorama just 6 days ago, so if there had been a
recent slipstream that any customers had yet, I'd probably have it too.
But here are my numbers, using a Lexar WA 40X 1GB card:

*ist D on a USB 1.1 port (built onto motherboard):
    0.834 MB/Second
    (No message from Windows XP suggesting I use a USB 2.0 port for it)

*ist D on a USB 2.0 port (on an add-on card):
    0.824 MB/Second

Lexar USB 2.0 Card Reader on the USB 2.0 port:
    3.147 MB/Second

That's consistent with what others here have reported. The reviewer's time
seems to be at least twice as fast as any of ours.

Greg