Hey Billy: I don't think it matters much where you get your negs developed.
My experience has been that when I get some brutal prints back (shots I would
have normally just thrown away and think that I screwed up) if I scan them I
can get them to look the way I wanted them to in the first place. I shoot my
daughter's skating team often and find that the minilabs want to darken the
prints way too much because of the white ice that is so prevalent in the images. As
soon as I bring the ice to  near white, everything else falls into place....
Vic