Hi Rob ...

The Barnacks are quite a bit different than the M cameras, and the early M
cameras are quite a bit different than the M4 and subsequent models. But
that's not really the point here, is it?

Again, it's really about what works for the individual photographer.
Everyone's style, subject matter, shooting conditions, needs, budget, are
different.  So what if the istDS isn't the ideal backup camera for the
istD.  That's only important to some people who already have istD's.

More important to Pentax, perhaps, is that the istDS offers an incremental
step up from the Optio cameras, and other brands of similar cameras, as
well as those with other brands of older 3 and 4 mp cameras who may want to
move up, but don't want the expense and size of an istD and Canon, Nikon,
and other brands.  What I see here is a smart move on the part of pentax,
filling the gap between P&S and lower quality/older prosumer bodies, with
the intent of building brand loyalty.  It's a technique used for years in
the automotive world, where the manufacturers get someone interested in a
basic car, and then give them something to move up to incrementally as
their budgets, needs, and family expand.  It wouldn't be surprising if in
the not too distand future there will be an improved istD, and many current
istD owners will upgrade to that and keep their current bodies as backups.
That would be great.  And in time the istDS owners will upgrade to the istD
replacement.

Time, of course, will determine these possibilities, but we musn't lose
sight of the fact that pentax is trying to make a comeback, to reestablish
themselves, and make products that a wider segment of the population might
want.  There are probably a lot of people who would be very, very happy
with a smaller, lighter, less expensive DSLR from a brand they've come to
trust with P&S cameras.  After all, right now there are only what, three
players in that lower-end DSLR group: Nikon, Canon, and now Pentax.  Have i
missed any?

If Optio users are happy with their little cameras, and they seem to be,
then their first inclination may be to consider Pentax for their next step
up, providing that Pentax has something for them, which now seems to be the
case.  For now, I'd say Bravo! to Pentax for making a Pentax-style DSLR,
one that follows in the tradition of Pentax film cameras like the MX, or
the ME Super.

Shel