Articles here that includes a few comments here from Andrew Wyllie (NEC)
who are backing the HD-DVD format (as opposed to BluRay) with Toshiba:
http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/New...?RelatedID=5794
http://pcworld.co.nz/news.nsf/0/00B6ADAE5467DBC5CC256ECF00761FA3?OpenDoc
ument
http://www.eetimes.com/article/showArticle.jhtml?articleId=26100874&sub_
taxonomyID=2251

The article is interesting but he is wrong on a few things he mentions:
- BluRay disks can now exist without a caddy due to a protective coating
much as DVD-RAMs
- Both Sony and Panasonic have developed blue/red combo lasers for DVD,
CD and BR reading

To be fair though there is just as much false info out about HD-DVD -
those who say 15GB (single layer) and 30GB (dual layer) is not enough
for long HD movies simply underestimate the compression WMV and MPEG4
can bring to such content.

Longhorn will support HD-DVD:
http://www.cdr-info.com/Sections/News/Details.aspx?NewsId=9845

It will be interesting to see how the HD-DVD versus BluRay 'war' turns
out. IMHO we are unlikely to see an early mass adoption of blue laser
products because there is no pressing need for people to upgrade - a
4.7GB DVDR provides sufficient storage for most, an 8.5GB dual layer
DVDR even more so. Thus both formats are likely to survive initially -
and perhaps this is a bad thing?

Unlike for recordable DVD, the Hollywood studios will have an impact as
they will start releasing high definition content on either HD-DVD or
BR-ROM. So early adopters are in the position where they could,
potentially, buy a failed product. In short a true return to the days of
Betamax versus VHS - only worse as it is worldwide failure the new
format is looking at.

Physically BluRay has greater capacity (25GB or 50GB as opposed to
HD-DVDs 15GB/30GB). However HD-DVD is potentially going to be more
durable and (possibly) cheaper. Again it is too early to comment with
any accuracy though.

So that puts current support for HD-DVD as Toshiba, NEC, Sanyo and
Microsoft. BluRay is supported by JVC, Hitachi, Panasonic, Philips,
Pioneer, Samsung and Sony among others.

I do find it interesting that the HD-DVD camp are playing the
'compatibility card' - much like the DVD Alliance did until all the
independent tests started to show that DVD+RW/+R actually faired
somewhat worse than DVD-RW/-R in that department. Certainly both BluRay
and HD-DVD machines are going to be backwards compatible with DVDs.

Bigger still in the pipeline though:

http://www.dvd-recordable.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=arti
cle&sid=1415&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0