I actually have reasonable luck with it when using the AF400T big
flash.  Set the camera to ISO 400, set the flash to TTL, set the
camera exposure comp to about -2 and take a few test shots to see if
my exposure comp is ok.  Also, shoot in Raw - buys you more latitude
for the shots that are still off.

Using C1 raw converter, correcting the over/under exposure on the
whole batch is a snap.  This setup is used mainly for weddings - ymmv

Bruce