On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 21:05:18 -0600, Don Sanderson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Bob, you apparently missed the fact that I was responding to
> Mishka's comment that as long as you play by the rules you
> aren't an ass or whatever.

i seriously doubt that someone can be an "ass" from every POV.
e.g. if you help your someone to change a tire or give a jump start,
from AAA standpoint, you are denying them their money :)

> These examples are aimed more at the sellers who misrepresent
> their product,

that's against the rules. there is a procedure (although a lengthy
and painful one) to deal with those. i had to follow it a couple of
times and did recieve the money back. again, this is strictly against the
rules.

> don't honor claims after the sale,

again, that's against the rules, and you don't have to complete the
transaction.

> jack prices in response to interest,

i don't see a problem with that. i don't see this any differently as
"bidding up" once you see that your bid is no longer the highest.
or, deciding not to bid if you don't receive a reply from the seller.
or deciding to increase your bid if the seller responded that he'll
give you 10 days of money-back evaluation time. or...
in all cases you act on the new information, in self interest.

> pull auctions at the last moment,

and with this either. i am not saying i like it, but that's
within the rules and you either accept it, or shop somewhere else.

> etc.

this can work both ways :)

> Also buyers who make false claims to recieve refunds or discounts,

this is against the rules too. you have to be able to substantiate the claim
to get a refund (see above about "lengthy and painful process") -- assuming
that the seller is not stupid and insured the item and has all the receipts.

> or leave negative feedback because their false claims don't get
> the result they want,

this is a grey area and i am not sure how to deal with this.
that's why i usually take feedback with a grain of salt. besides,
100% positive feedback also doesn't mean much. often people
don't leave negative feedback because they are afraid of retailiation,
and, face it, if your feedback is 10000 and mine is 10, i am better off
letting you off the hook than getting a negative response from you.
i've been there.

so far, most of what you mentioned is explicitely prohibited by ebay
rules.

> *Somehow* they manage to stay just barely inside the rules,
> but to me are asses all the same.

apart from feedback, which is too losely defined to be truly useful,
"staying barely insidethe rules" is like being "a little pregnant". you are
either inside or not.

your personal moral principles deserve a lot of respect.
but you cannot impose them on the rest of the world.

unless you start your own auction site :)

> Sorry if I was misunderstood but I still hold that there is a big
> difference between "following the rules" and being "honorable".

i suppose, being "honorable" means "following *your* rules"?

> If you will carefully check MY eBay feedback you will see
> that I at least *try* for the latter

so do i. but i can afford that since ebay income/expenses are negligible
(compared to my other sources of income/expneses). i can imagine that
that would be different if i had to make a living off ebay.

mishka