Hi,

You're not going to get any reading with a normal
spotmeter... unless the Aurora is extremely bright
(but then you'll be able to measure with your camera meter as well).
This may happen only about once in 25 years or so... ;-)

The only camera which I know to work on automatic with Aurora
is the LX (which btw is the best camera on the planet for
photographing astronomical phenomenon). I just attach a suitable
lens (usually SMC 15/3.5) to my LX with a winder and then lock the
cable release on auto. The camera will shoot continuously on itself
and I can just watch the play. My standard film is the Kodak
Ektachrome P1600 shot at 1600. Brighter ones expose well with
the E200 (which you can push as well to 400 or 800). It also
helps to have more than one LX.

With no LX, just shoot continuously, bracket a lot, try to "guess"
the correct exposure time by looking at the aurora with your naked
eye. Make notes... and compare them to your results. Eventually
you'll have a human exposure meter :-). It's not that hard to
estimate the brightness of the aurora display after you've seen
and photographed a couple.

It helps too if you pre-choose your shooting point and go there on a
starry night and take pictures with different exposure times. This
way you'll have a clue how long you can expose without overexposure
in the selected shooting spot. This helps prevent overexposure when
shooting faint aurora...

Don't take all the time photographing them. The aurora is best
enjoyed right on the spot with your own eyes while almost freezing
to death ;-).

Antti-Pekka

---
Antti-Pekka Virjonen