Peter J. Alling mused:

> Canon's R&D is no better than anyone elses.  Pentax quiet likely has
> just as many or more imaging patents.  Canon can bring more products to
> market weather there is a need for them or not.  Some are truely
> superior products, but I've felt they were inferior since the days of
> the AE1, they were the first "quality" camera manufacture to jump on the
> plastic junk bandwagon.  It's been downhill ever since.  More "features"
> less quality Yipee.

Odd, then, that they were the leaders to market USM & IS lenses,
and seem to be leading the way with sensor technology, too.

>From where I sit Canon definitely do seem to have more results
from their R&D department.  They, more than anybody else, are
pushing forwards the cutting edge of DSLR development.

Do they fund this by selling cheap junk to the masses?  Sure.
And why not?  If this means they can make top-of-the-line stuff
like the L-series lenses and the 1Ds II, and sell them cheaper,
then I'm all for it.

I liked the EOS-10D when I rented one, and I'm sure the -20D is
even better.  By the time you've got an 80-200/2.8 (or even just
a 28-70) mounted on the front of it, and a flash on the top,
the difference in size and weight between that and the *ist-D
just isn't all that significant.