"William Robb" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: You must moonlight as a Ritz
Camera
salesperson.

I had the opposite problem when buying film recently at Ritz: a salesman
second-guessing my informed choice:

Me: "Do you have any of the new Fujicolor 1600, the version that uses the
fourh color layer?

Salesman: "May I ask why you want to use 1600?"

Me: "I'm shooting a school play in available light, with a 200mm f/3 lens."

Salesman: "Oh. OK."

I can appreciate that he wanted to make sure I wasn't an ignoramus who was
thinking, "If 800 is better than 400, 1600 must be better than 800." But he
also had an agenda: He was an intelligent young man who was studying
photography, and nearly all his shots, I learned, were scenics, his camera
mounted a tripod.

Photographers whose subject matter is exclusively inanimate objects or
studio stills sometimes forget that other photographers shoot moving
objects under less-than-ideal conditions. We don't always tote a tripod. We
may never enlarge beyond 4R (4 by 6 inches). We will gladly trade "fine
grain" and "high resolving power" to capture our subjects at a shutter
speed faster than 1/15 second.

By the way, Ritz had the new Fuji...and my pro dealer still doesn't. I
haven't developed the prints yet.