On Dec 20, 2004, at 11:45 PM, Rob Studdert wrote:

Unfortunately attempting to eliminate image noise/grain via the use of edge
masks gives quite poor results compared to the better dedicated noise removal
tools. I use edge masking techniques after grain removal on occasion but it is
really image dependent, the effect can make some images look quite un-natural.

In my case, I'm mostly concerned about reducing red channel noise from skies from my digital camera, so I would suppose that a simple masking and performing this on just the sky would not be too much of an issue. Thanks!
--
-Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland