Thanks, everyone, for the responses.

Not surprisingly, price aside, the 24 + 35 combination
wins (apart from portability and getting out really
wide at 20mm).

The issue of indoor available-light photography is a
serious one for me, as well as wishing to blur the
background a bit at times with faster apertures...so
this argues for the primes.  But also, on the other
hand, there is still the question of whether 24 will
be wide enough indoors.  And the range of 20 to 35
just seems a really useful one.  So this would argue
for the zoom.

I am happy to know that, despite being a zoom, the
20-35 is indeed very well regarded.  Though it is not
a $1500 2.8 lens, clearly it is aimed well above the
usual lowest-level consumer zoom category.  In the
past I've been mainly a primes person but lately have
gotten a lot of use from the FA 28-105 f/4-5.6
powerzoom and have considered additional, better zooms
more seriously.

I am even more happy to learn that the 24mm is still a
good one and that the later negative reports were only
in regard to digital applications.  That is a relief.
I should have mentioned I would be using these lenses
with film bodies, mainly the PZ-1p.

Honestly, I am still not decided, as the 20-35 just
seems a really neat and handy lens!  Happily, I have
some time to decide.

Thanks, again, to Bruce, Paul, Joseph, and Mark.

Chaso