Pete wrote
A Luminous Landscape review from 2003 maintains the following:

"Regrettably Pentax has missed the mark with the *ist D ... they can't

ignore ... two serious flaws â a highly problematic card compartment and

the lack of a histogram and highlight alert in post-exposure review mode

(only on subsequent image playback, but not right after taking the shot)

... The latter can probably be fixed with a firmware upgrade. The CF card

eject problem likely needs a body redesign"

Has Pentax fixed these problems in later-produced bodies or through

firmware upgrades?

I read these comments on Luminous Landscape and thought twice about getting
the istD. Then I bought it and found out very quickly that these (faults) are
really minor and do not bother me in the least. I don't know why everyone is
making such a big deal about getting the flash card out. I find it at least as
easy as getting a roll of film in or out of most of my newer camera bodies (MZS
PZ1). It's really not a big deal. I think these reviewers go out searching
for something to criticize. IMHO, if that's the best they can do, than the
camera is close to perfection. I just give the CF card a flick with my
fingernail
and the card pops out no problem.
As far as the histogram goes, all you have to do is press a button and the
histogram comes up. If that's too much trouble for these reviewers than what
can
I say. There is no highlights blowout indicator but I have never had anything
like that and do not miss it at all. I think learning to properly  expose
digital images is the same as shooting film. You can't rely on the camera's
technology all the time to get it right. Sooner or later you have to learn
proper
exposure for yourself. Relying on histograms and highlight blowouts is fine at
times, but it does not make up for good technique and understanding of proper
exposure.
Vic