I am a D-user, not DS.
But I belive this goes for both.
I never trust automatic flash programs, since I can't hold speeds longer
than 1/30 sec. still eneough, anyway.
I always shoot on MANUAL, when using a flash. The TTL will still works, when
using PZ-1 or later cameras!!

At long exposures (1/30 or longer) the flash will not "freeze movement" if
there's much available light present.
I set the speed and aperture accordning to the shooting conditions. I
prefere indirect flash, bounched off the cieling.
And I prefere to utilize as much as the available light as possible.

So, before selection my setting I make a redaing as if there's no falsh.
If it says 1/60 sec. F5.6, I may shoot at 1/60 sec. F8 or prhaps 1/125 F5.6
or F8 - if the subject (people) are moveing around. A small "underexposure"
(that is as close to the values, I got from measuring the available light)
will utilize as much of the available light as possible, still taking
advantage of the falsh.

Se my test:
No falsh, camera metering:
http://gallery37564.fotopic.net/p8921186.html

Clixk "next" to see the flash fotograph, based on the above shown metering,
or:
http://gallery37564.fotopic.net/p8921434.html

Jens Bladt
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]