----- Original Message ----- From: "Nick Clark"
Subject: Re: LX/circular or linear polarizer

Only true in automatic mode.

The LX is a bit tricky this way because of the way the meter integrates into the exposure control.
In all manual exposures the metered exposure is taken through the lens.
In automatic exposure higher than sync (1/75th second) the automatic exposure is finalized off the leading shutter curtain after the mirror raises, although the indicated exposure is still taken off TTL metering.

When the shutter speed falls below the sync speed, automatic exposures are indicated via TTL metering, the initial exposure is finalized off the leading curtain, but the exposure will be modified by light reflecting off the film.

Consequently, using a linear polarizer can cause incorrect exposures under the following conditions: manual exposure, and can cause metering errors, but not exposure errors in automatic.

Hope this muddifies things a bit. I believe I have contradicted my previous post, I am thinking a bit more clearly now.
(shut up, Tom.)

William Robb