On Sun, 6 Feb 2005 19:11:19 +0100, Frantisek <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi Marnie, it apparently lowers the temperature snow and ice melts, as
> IIRC salt water has lower freezing point. Apart from that, it damages water
> reserves, is not much good for the environment and destroys your
> leather shoes in no time ;-) That's why I dislike having to be in a
> city during the winter with its melting snow slush... Not mentioning
> that is looses all the beauty of snow filled streets ;-)

I ~hate~ the crap!

Here in Toronto, it's used as a substitute for proper snow-plowing.
We salt the streets to melt the snow until two inches have fallen, and
only then bring out the snow-plows.

It makes the streets giant slush pits.  I know, I ride my bike through
the crap all winter long.  It works well below -25C, and let me tell
you, wet feet at that temperature is no fun.

Funny thing is, it's easy to drive on hard packed snow.  When I was a
kid in Montreal, they sanded the streets, not salted.  It worked great
for traction on icy bits and hard-packed snow, and was much more
environmentally friendly - not perfect, but better.

It seems that here in Ontario, Canada, the salt lobby is particularly
strong (we have huge salt mines in Windsor, Ontario, right across the
river from Detroit, Michigan).  They make much more money off salt for
highways than for table (eating) salt.

Oh yeah, good pic, Dave.  I got some (being developed) of the 20 foot
high ice cliffs on Lake Ontario a couple of weeks ago.  Hope they turn
out as good as yours.

cheers,
frank