Hi,

Being a seismologist (having taught this stuff) I think youre views are stimulating. Therefore I would like to add some stuff here. You are thinking of fjord-tsunamis and there is a special example in Alaska, the Lituya bay, about 240 km north of Sitka in Alaska, where landslides causes waves to splash up to 500m in height on the other side. There is also a modern case from Norway!!! which was the most disastrous tsunami like thing in northwestern Europe in modern history. These tsunamis are although high only dangerous in the near vicinity as opposed to earthquake induced tsunamis which may hit half a globe away.

The other two BIG sources for tsunamis - apart from earthquakes - are deep water landslides ( also known from Norway some 6500 years ago) and collapse of volcanoes Krakatoa 19th century San Torini (Greece) 1500 BC which are as bad as the Indonesian earthquake. My appology for writing this is that I'm a Pentaxian.

Cheers,

Ronald

Ryan Lee
Fri, 11 Feb 2005 22:59:09 -0800

Bedo,

That's a great shot. It reminds me of a documentary I watched on
megatsunamis, hundreds of metres high. Considering the recent catastrophic
tsunami was not even close to that, the trailer caught my attention and I
had to watch it. It turns out that the rare phenomenon is caused by massive
landslides into specifically featured lakes. It was quite frightening how
high they got (they cut down trees to inspect the rings to find out).

Anyway, your picture looks just like the scene they were researching..

Cheers,
Ryan