> You should never stone down the shims to size. That weakens the
> surface hardening. A new shim of the correct size or a well used
> but not worn out shim is greatly preferable.

Preferable but not always possible, original factory shims are perfectly OK
after a light stoning, I'm talking very small increments.

> And you should aim
> for .001" clearance on the closers when making an adjustment,
> not zero clearance. Closers are tolerant of up to .005-.006".

Hence I state "0" clearence, basically never done by measurement, the closing
shim should move with firm pressure of finger and thumb throughout it's base
circle. Closing rockers may be tolerant of up to .005-.006" on a road bike
because of "helper springs" aiding compression at low rpm but try telling
Steve Wynne that when he and Roy Armstrong were preparing race engines.

> More important than that is to rotate the cam through an entire
> revolution with both valves installed to be sure there is no
> binding anywhere, and check the keeper collets whenever you're
> doing an adjustment to be sure they're not battered up too
> badly.

Yes absolutely and make sure that cam bearing end block is installed
correctly when you check.

I've been doing this for 27 years now :)

John