From: Shel Belinkoff [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: 21 May 2001 18:05
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Chromogenic B&W Film

Rob Brigham wrote:

> Surely the phrases 'extremely wide exposure latitude of XP2' and 'No
> matter which film speed is chosen, standard C41 processing is
> recommended.' confirms that the exposure lattitude of the neg is wider
> than paper so over or under exposing a single frame by a stop or two
can
> be corrected at the printing stage with no noticeable effect as the
> final print will always be 18% grey by default.

That's nonsense - at least to me.  There are differences in grain
and negative density (as specifically stated in Ilford's
description).  That, to my eyes, produces a "noticeable effect".
Also, see Mark's comments. Other noticeable effects.

While a film may have a wide exposure latitude, varying exposures
will produce different results.  It can't be helped.  Whether or not
the results are acceptable, or even noticeable, depends on how
critical you are and whether these differences are meaningful to
you.  They are to me.  Perhaps Mark & I are a bit more critical than
you when it comes to judging print quality or seeing the results of
different exposures.

> The only effect would be the change in characteristic of the grain
etc,

Agreed. You are contradicting yourself <g>. Of course, "etc" may
cover a pretty broad range of characteristics.  Which other
characteristics were you thinking of when you wrote that?

--
Shel Belinkoff
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]