From: Ayash Kanto Mukherjee [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: 23 May 2001 11:43
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Red Eye effect<->Telephoto lens!

Hi all!

Recently, I was taking some shots in a function (The organizers of the
function requested me to photograph the activities in the function). In
the question hour session, I was photographing a young boy who was
asking
question. He was about 8 meters away from me and I was using PENTAX SMC
F 100-300mm f/4.5-5.6 at 250 mm focal length. He was not looking at the
camera and was unaware of being photographed. When I got back the
prints, I was surprised to see red eye effect on the eye of the
boy. The flash used was VIVITAR 2800 at red mode (if the subject to
camera
distance (s) is, 6 m > s > 12 m, the flash should be operated at red
mode,
according to the manual). I can not understand how this could happen at
distance of 8 meters. Yes, it is true that operating at a focal length
of
250 mm takes you near to the boy but red eye effect happens when the
subject is looking towards the lens and flash is fired from a close
distance say about 3 - 4 m. May be a flash bracket can help me to get
rid
of the problem.

Any comments/explaination is appreciated.

Cheers,
Ayash Kanto.