Thanks David. This was shot at about one in the afternoon under hazy sun.
However, the snow was quite bright, brighter in fact, than it appears in the
photo. I think a jpeg would have blown out highlights and lost shadow detail if
it was exposed the same as this shot. The key to RAW is in how you convert it.
I have a book devoted to the RAW converter. I don't have it here with me at
work, but I can supply the name of it later if anyone is interested. The author
goes to great lengths in explaining how a shot can be dialed in using exposure,
shadow, brightness and contrast. What it amounts to is that you expose to
preserve any highlights that are critical. Then when processing the RAW image,
you adjust the exposure slider so that all your critical highlights are in
range. If  you hold down the alt/option key while moving the slider, the
highlights that are out of range will be revealed as bright areas against
black. Then you adjust for shadow. Again, if you hold down the alt/o!
 ption key while moving the shadow slider all the shadow areas that are out of
range will be revealed as bright against black. After that, you adjust your
midtone levels with the brightness control. Adding brightness in the raw
converter won't affect the highlights. It's  not the same as brightness in
PhotoShop. Finally, you adjust contrast. This will pull the histogram toward
the ends of the scale of push them toward the middle. Again, it's different
than the contrast control in PhotoShop. It's more like tweaking the rgb curve.
Of course there are other factors to consider such as color temperture, hue,
sharpness, etc. But these don't affect shadow or highlight rendition. Best of
all, the RAW converter is a lot of fun. It's a great tool for the digital
photographer.
Paul