>> Fra: Jim Hemenway [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>>
>> Has anyone here tried one of these grips on a DS?
>> Item 3877946031 on eBay
>>
> Jens Bladt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> It's very nice. I never use the neck strap at all, anyway.
> My conserns are two things, though:
> 1) The tripod mount!
> 2) Is the base plate strong enough!

That looks like the Chinese knock-off of the Hakuba Grip-LH that
my friend in the UK uses with his DS. He's been using it since
around December and it's already falling apart, the base is
cracking. I just ordered one of the Hakubas to replace his for
him as they aren't distributed in the UK.

I use the Hakuba Grip-LH:
  http://tinyurl.com/6sham
(B&H product number HAGLH if the tinyurl doesn't work.)
It's only a buck more and I know it works and lasts. I've had
one on my Canon 10D for 18 months and it's still in perfect
shape.

I remove the grip for use with a tripod; I use a QR plate that
fits Arca-Swiss type QR clamps. There are a couple of pictures
of the DS fitted with the Hakuba grip at
  http://homepage.mac.com/godders/dslenskit/

and a better shot of the grip fitted to the Canon 10D at
  http://homepage.mac.com/godders/10DwHakubaGrip.jpg

For the DS, I filed off the little vertical tang that designed
to help keep the base part aligned to the camera base. This
allows the base part to be rotated forward a little so the strap
sits at a more comfortable angle. It loses no security and does
not move.

Godfrey