Well, I have a winner, but sadly he was not from this list. In fact he
was from the EOS list, which ironically is far less active than the PDML.
Could it be that a Canon shooter had the brains, the nouse, the
inclination to have a go at a photo-quiz?? Surely not. He wins the book
and it's in the post.

Meanwhile, here's his answers.

Honourable mention: Bob W :-)

> [...]
>> of the postage. Includes interactive CD ROM (Mac/Win). All
>> you have to do is answer all the following photography and
>> trivia questions correctly. Answers can be found on the web.
>> All correct entries into the hat, first drawn out wins.
>> Closing date midnight Sunday 6th March (GMT).
>>

>> 1)  Who wanted the name and address of 'that lonely elevator
>> girl' in The Americans ?
>>

>Jack Kerouac. I love that picture, to me it speaks to the utter
>depersonification of so many jobs.
>

>> 2) How many bottles of wine is Michel Gabriel carrying?
>>

>Two very large ones :)
>

>> 3) What does the 'RB' mean in 'Mamiya RB67' ?
>>

>rotating back
>

>> 4) Vanfleteren and Huber - which was mono and which was colour?
>>

>Just like you have them listed. Huber was a "colorful" guy.
>

>> 5) Who said 'I don't believe in God, but women and trees are
>> proof of his existence' ?
>>

>Jean Sieff
>

>> 6) What year was the courthouse in Mariposa erected and which
>> famous landscape photographer captured it?
>>

>1854, Ansel Adams
>

>> 7) What is the Canon EOS mount [film] register distance in
>> millimetres?
>>

>According to our host WJM, 44mm
>

>> 8) Name a famous Jewish portrait photographer from the Big
>> Apple who snapped Picasso once or twice.
>>

>Arnold Newman
>

>> 9) Who photographed Sharbat Gula and when? And when again?
>>

>Steve McCurry.
>
>The first picture was taken in a (Peshawar) Pakistani refugee camp in 1984,
>and the picture went on to become fabulously popular after its' appearance
>on the cover of National Geographic, but Steve had no idea what became of
>his subject. In 2001, he learned that the camp was going to be closed to
>make room for a new housing project, and he began to search earnestly for
>his prize subject. Finally, he was able to meet her through her brother, and
>to photograph her again.
>
>The original photo appeared on the June, 1985 cover, and the second one was
>on the April, 2002 cover. I have both of them.
>
>The thing that amazes most people is that she was only 13 when the first
>picture was taken. Most assume she was an adult. I'm still fascinated every
>time I look at her expression of distance and resignation. It almost yells
>"Why are you here taking my picture, you have no comprehension of my life
>and future".
>
>Definitely one of my favorite photos from the time I've spent taking
>pictures, it's always an inspiration to think that such a picture is
>possible.

>> 10) If you reduce the lens aperture, what do you get more of?
>>

>Depth of field. You also get more dark :)
>

>> Tie-breaker :-)
>>
>> What single thing do you consider to be the most important
>> element of photography?
>>

>the ability to look beyond the subject and capture the message. I like to
>think of it as turning nouns into adjectives.

So there you have it - next week, I'm offering an AK47, a Republican
Party manifesto, and a morning-after pill as prizes. See you then :-)

Cheers,
  Cotty

___/\__