"Ayash Kanto Mukherjee" wrote:
> My procedure is like this. I make changes in the ISO setting
> of the camera
> and fool the lightmeter.
> Recently, Todd pointed out that some of the older bodies like K1000 or
> Canon AE1 are unable to measure the light using light meter
> for high speed
> films and low shutter speeds like 1/4 sec. If that is the
> situation, then
> the trick described above will be of no use to determine the
> duration of
> long exposures.

        I've used the same procedure.  When the light meter in the K-1000 shut off
for lack of light, I punted and used spot meter mode of my PZ-1p body as a
light meter since it is more sensitive.  Without it, I would have had to
guess -- I probably would have picked the part of the scene I wanted to
meter from and then moved close enough to get a reading off only it to use
as a starting place.
        One thing I learned to be careful about with my K-1000 (and maybe others
need to be as well?) is that down at the extreme end of the light meter
range, the metering gets severely non-linear.  When I'm close to that range,
I always check the reading by making a one-stop change.  If the needle
deflects more than I expect a one-stop change to do, then I can't trust
either reading.

hope that helps,
patbob ([EMAIL PROTECTED] [EMAIL PROTECTED])