On Sun, 3 Apr 2005, MikeM wrote:

> Lately I have been using it mainly for trying to get close to birds, though
> it has been inadequate for many. Over the last few weeks I have been using
> it to photograph ships at our local port because the public is excluded from
> the wharves so I have to make do with shots of the ships manoeuvring in the
> river.

So, are you shooting mostly at 300? Most consumer zooms for Pentax
(F100-300, FA80-320 etc) don't do too well up there (but if you are
happy with the Sigma, you may be happy with them too). Have you
thought of a used Tamron SP 300/5.6? You can get them with a KA
Adaptall mount to suit the MZ-50. Mine was about a quarter of your
budget from a pricey UK shop.

HTH,

Kostas