Hello,

I normally shoot still life (broadly defined) and, one
might say, post-Modern architectural landscapes
(including such favorite subjects as dilapidated
industrial structures and transit vehicles), but I
have the opportunity to take some shots of a live
music performance as a favor to a friend who is a
semi-pro drummer in a local band; I write this post to
solicit pointers from anyone more familiar with this
type of shooting.  Mainly, my own approach has
typically been highly methodical and controlled, and
incorporates primarily an available-light methodology
- so I have fears about my ability to perform in this
very different sort of environment.

The conditions will be under rather strong and direct
stage spot lighting on the musicians from low-hung
rigging.  I will have the opportunity to shoot from
the edge of the 4'-high stage (perhaps 7 to 15 feet
from the musicians) at various angles, and from the
back of the room (perhaps 30 to 45 feet from the
musicians) at various angles.  I will bring a monopod,
but I don't anticipate being able to utilize a tripod
in the crowded environment.  I will be using a PZ-1p
and ZX-50 with FA 28-105 Powerzoom, FA 24mm/f2.0, FA
50mm/f1.4, FA 135mm/f2.8, and one AF-500FTZ flash
between the two cameras.

Is there any general advice one might suggest?  (I
understand, of course, that such a question is
preceded, however, by the question of what I am
attempting to achieve!)  I suppose, in particular, I
am wondering about the effects of the brightness of
the stage lighting, something I've never dealt with.
For instance, ought I rely heavily on spot-metering of
bright areas with little supplemental light, or ought
I meter more broadly and/or fill non-spotted areas
with significant flash (perhaps bounced - I haven't
checked the ceiling yet)?  Should I attempt to utilize
a depth of field that includes all the musicians
(which seems daunting, at least in closer shots, given
the great distance between musicians in relation to
their distance from me)?  Also, what film speeds might
be most effective?

I suppose I will use the coward's method and shoot an
excessive quantity of film in a variety of ways.  The
auto-bracketing will get a workout.  Sorry about the
long post, and thanks in advance for any tips.

Chaso