The Luminous Landscape has an  article by Pete Myers on the value of
post-production editing for photographers:

"What I am suggesting is that the real power of photography in our modern
digital age is in using the computer in making an image... I really don't
care all that much about what the picture looks like that I took in the
field — I care about what I can make of the image in postproduction.
Certainly that does not excuse me from doing my best in taking a picture in
the field, but the point is what happens in the field is not an end all –
it's a beginning."

Any comments on this?

Shel