When I was a bit older that a "kid," I spent some time in the east, in a number of places where it was not at all uncommon to observe one's local deomestic help and local office staff talking to the wall(s). Often a specific point in a wall or a particular window. In fact, it happened a bit too often in some places. ;-)

Otis Wright
.

Shel Belinkoff wrote:

When I was a kid and disobeyed my mom's orders, she'd often say that
talking to me was "like talking to a wall."  To my surprise, I found this
woman having a conversation with a wall ... or was she?  Today one never
knows to whom or what people are talking.

http://home.earthlink.net/~my-pics/convers.html

Shel