I'd like to offer my sincere thanks to everyone that replied to my messages and helped
me get off my rear and make a decision.  Specifically:

> At 06:05 AM 5/31/01 -0700, I wrote:
"I have 4 lens to go with my ZX-5n:

- Pentax A 28mm f2.8 (which I may sell?)
- Pentax FA 28-80mm f3.5-5.6
- Pentax FA 80-320mm f4.5-5.6
- Vivitar Series 1 AF 19-35mm f3.5-4.5

I'd like to add a lens that can support macro photography..."

> At 06:15 AM 5/3/01 -0700 Jon Hope wrote:
"I found that for flowers and non moving objects the 50mm is fine. For things that
move, or things that tend to fly/run/crawl away when you get too close, 105mm can be a
tad on the short side. 50mm is usually way too close."

Hmmm.  Should I reconsider my preliminary idea to purchase a 50mm macro lens?

> At 09:26 AM 5/31/01 -0700 Ramesh Kumar wrote:
"I have Pentax FA Macro 50mm f2.8 and has worked beautifully since 2 yrs.  It's
sharpness is apparent in results. My experience is it's too short for macro work. Some
time I feel I should have gone for FA 100 f2.8."

I really considered your 100mm recommendation.  It greatly influenced my decision (see
below).

> At 06:35 AM 6/1/01 -0700 Tiger Moses wrote:
"The 90-100 macros seem to give you more flexibility, farther back for your flash to
work, etc!"

I'm starting to see a trend here!

> At 06:52 AM 6/3/01 -0700 Mark Cassio wrote:
"Personally, I'd go for a fast 50mm over a macro if it was my only 50mm prime.  The
ability to shoot in low light and selectively focus that a fast lens gives outweighs
the macro capability, especially when you can get the macro by adding an inexpensive
extension tube."

I agree!  See what I bought below!

> At 3:37 PM 6/3/01 -0700  Jaroslaw Brzeziński wrote:
"As regards a 50mm f/1.4 with close-up lens(es), it does give you easier focusing,
especially in poor available light conditions due to te high speed (and close-up
lenses - in contrast to extension tubes or a bellows - do not slow it down) but since
depth of field is so shallow at higher magnifications you will have to stop it
down..."

I hadn't thought of that!

So after much reconsideration, the comments above, and looking at lens reviews on
photo.net, I placed an order today with B&H for the following lenses:

- Pentax FA 50mm f/1.4
- Vivitar AF Macro 100mm f/3.5

I decided that I really wanted a fast normal lens in my bag.  The Pentax Macro 100mm
f/2.8 was too expensive and the Pentax Macro 100mm f/3.5 only goes to 1:2
magnification.  The "Life Size Attachment" lens on the Vivitar allows 1:1
magnification.  Since I don't do a lot of macro photography it seemed like a resonable
compromise.

The best part: I was able to buy both lenses for what it would have cost me to buy the
Pentax Macro 50mm f/2.8 alone.

Thanks again to everyone that took time from their week-end to respond.

Ed Dombek