On 9 Jun 2001, at 19:47, Pål Jensen wrote:

> When designating equal lenses (MF and 35mm) I was thinking of overall
> performance. Eg the two lenses projects the same information content (total
> number of lines for instance) but on circles with different size.

I think that this is where our perspectives differ, in my dialogue I was referring
to the absolute LPPMM on film, ie referring to comparison of the absolute
resolution a MF lens and 35mm lens of the same FL over the same area of
film.

I'd put the Pentax 43f1.9 LTD up against the Mamiya 7 43f4.5 (virtually
symmetrical optical design) on on the same strip of film any day, and I'd say
that you would have a difficult time deciding which was best (maybe the
24x65mm image would give the M7 the edge :-)

By the same token I would guess that the Pentax 45mmf4 for the 67 wouldn't
stand a chance up against the Pentax 43mm LTD, I found that it  was far
less resolute than the SMCPA50f1.2 in my testing.

Cheers,

Rob Studdert
HURSTVILLE AUSTRALIA
Tel +61-2-9554-4110