Sid Barras wrote:

> On Fritz Wuthrich's "Old and New":
>     I think my first impression is why fisheye? The architectural details
in the truss system, the
> multilevel walkways are interesting enough, but I don't think the angle of
the shot enhances or
> contributes to the composition. I truly don't want to sound "expertish, or
elitist", Fritz, believe
> me. I just don't "see" the rendering of this scene in the fisheye look as
a positive attribute.
> Bravo for attempting this lens, I have one, and very seldom am I pleased
with the results of the
> image.

(snip)

Sid,

I can't agree less!

There is a definite theme of wheels and circles to be found at every level
of this pic.  The lights have conical shades (circular openings).  The
modern girders have circular cut-outs.  The modern columns are cylindrical
(circular cross-section).  There are wagon wheels on the mezzanine.  And to
top it off in a most serendipitous way there is the wheel chair in the
foreground showing off a well chromed wheel.

I mostly find that fisheye and semi-fisheye photos use the effect
gratuitously, but if any photo deserves the use of a fisheye lens then this
is it, the semicircularity of the view meshes perfectly with the wheels and
circles within.

Well done, Frits.

BTW (and I can't believe that nobody's commented yet, my apologies if they
have) my favourite PUG photo of June is Cory Water's "Upper Level".  Very
graphic, very commercial, very "corporate annual report", most importantly
very architectural.  Shots like this can earn a nice income if you want
that!

Regards,
Anthony Farr