--- Kostas Kavoussanakis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> - When the shutter is released and after the mirror is back in place,
>   I hear a sound like a spring resonating. Is this normal?

I think so, but it is difficult to imagine what yours sounds like.

> - The winder speed is impressive (as is the 1/250 sync speed, the
>   factor that excited my curiosity in the first place) but as the film
>   progressed it became noticeably slower. Is that normal? I was more or
>   less machine-gunning, which is not my normal way of shooting at all,
>   but thought to ask if it's a known tell-tale.

This is normal, especially when you are using 36exp film. My friend's Nikon F90X
does the same thing.

> First impressions follow: The overall feel is like a 90s Toyota, built
> to last. The HyP mode is extremely intuitive, and I can see how the
> manual rewind can be useful. I already commented on the high sync
> speed. The panorama lines in the viewfinder can work well instead of a
> grid screen for my awful alignment issues, particularly with
> verticals. I find it a bit too big for my hands, very Canon-like (even
> wifey noted that) and at the same time not high enough. I had the SFXn
> too, and it did not feel that way (I really liked the SFXn). That and
> the noise/vibration issue (I may be making it up, but I think I can
> feel the mirror moving out and back in the way) mean that probably the
> -5n remains my main camera. Certainly the chase for an equally
> affordable MZ-S is still on.

The Z-1p is a rather big body, but its relatively short profile makes it more
camera
bag friendly (to my bags anyway). My uncle has a EOS3 and it fits nowhere in my
bags. What you have experienced with noise and vibration is real. In some cases
the
vibration could cause blurry or double images even on tripod, especially when
you
are using superteles. MZ/ZX bodies are much much quieter and better dampened,
though
not as well built.

Alan Chan
http://www.pbase.com/wlachan