Sell lots of them. You will need the money.

Which is the point I have been trying to make. It is not about the image. It is
about the right to the profits from the image. Paul has the right ot all
profits from his image, anything that infringes that right is actionable. In
Wal-Marts case they are probably overdoing it. It is hard to imagine a customer
having one copy made as violating copyright (the right to make a copy for
personal use or study is right in the copyright laws), but when the customer
orders multiple copies he is probably trying to beat the copyright holder out
of earnings from his work, and I think Wal-Mart would become an accessory to
that. Guess who has the money to be worth sueing?

A lot of photolabs used to have a habit of saying "What a nice photo" and
hanging a copy on the wall so the customers could see what nice photos they process.
Guess what? Yep! Advertising use. Loss of profits. Big no-no.

As I said money is the real issue.

graywolf
http://www.graywolfphoto.com
"Idiot Proof" <==> "Expert Proof"
-----------------------------------

William Robb wrote:

----- Original Message ----- From: "David Mann"
Subject: Are your photos too good?

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=528&e=1&u=/ap/20050617/ ap_on_hi_te/photo_printing_frustration

More and more, this is becoming a frustrating issue in the industry.
We are routinely pulling customer scanned images of pro portraits out of orders.

And no, it is neither a tempest in a teapot, nor a load of rubbish.

Paul, I liked that black and white portrait you showed a few days ago.
How about I lift it from PhotoNet, res it up a bit and start selling it as postcards?
Would that make you happy?

William Robb