On Wed, 20 Jun 2001 15:25:21 +0800, Jon Hope wrote:

>>         I believe they are asking $125 for it.  Worth it?  Is it useful?
>>Etc., etc., etc.

Yes, I think $125 is not unreasonable ...

>I bought mine off Rob Studdert. I have an A series 50mm stuck on it
>permanently, and it makes a wonderful AF 85mm lens. Shame is, I very rarely
>use any focal lengths around that range so it is under used. When I do use
>it, I'm happy with the way it works, and the results it gives.

I have been using the 1.7 converter a lot with the 300mm f/2.8 lately, this makes for
a very
nice 500mm autofocus lens at about f/4.7.
Focusing with the Z1 and MZ-3 is good enough for the sort of wildlife shots I tend to
do.
(you probably will want a good monopod to support this combo!)

The need for pre-focus the manual lens, and let the converter do the rest works
nicely,
but sometimes lets you miss a shot because focus is just out of range and you need to
readjust the manual focus ring.

Still, a very usefull item when you have good MF lenses and also use AF sometimes.

I have also been using the converter to stack onto the 300mm plus 2.0X-L converter.
This yields a manual focus 1000mm lens f/9.5 with reasonable sharpness in the center.

PS: AF focusing works best with lenses of f/2.8 or better.

Regards, JvW