----- Original Message ----- From: "Mark Roberts"
Subject: Advice wanted: Photos stuck to glass in frames

I'm doing some photo restorations for a client and have been given
several photos that were mounted in frames for many years without the
benefit of a mat to prevent the photograph itself from coming in contact
with the glass. Now parts of the photo are stuck to the glass. I'd like
to be able to scan them without having to scan through the glass.

Anyone have experience in removing photos in this condition? Is there
any hope?

I've had to try this a number of times in the past, and have never had success doing it. The emulsion invairably was damaged worse than it would have been if I had just left it alone. I advise scanning through the glass, or using your digital SLR as a copy camera.

William Robb