On 28 Oct 2005 at 4:55, Markus Maurer wrote:

> Hi William and Shel
>
> Does every digital SLR need that sensor cleaning or are there better dust
> sealed bodies and are the Pentax ones better or worse in this regard than
> other brands?
> For me as a film user, that "cleaning sensor thing" seems to be necessary
> quite often, Shel's camera is nearly new.
> I seldom clean my film bodies, I just have a look at the film pressure plate
> when I change film if it is clean. greetings Markus

The fundamental difference between a traditional SLR and a DSLR WRT dust
collection is that DSLRs have a fixed sensing element, the film surface
obviously moves frame to frame so is generally far less of a problem. I'm sure
that the same amount of dust gets sucked in due to lens focus/zoom movements
and enters the mirror box whilst lenses are being changed but yes it does pose
more of a problem for DSLRs. Systems have been developed to attempt to counter
the problem but basically a good puff of clean air will solve most DSLR dust
problems.

Rob Studdert
HURSTVILLE AUSTRALIA
Tel +61-2-9554-4110
UTC(GMT)  +10 Hours
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Pentax user since 1986, PDMLer since 1998