Pentax did it that way on purpose, probably to save money. my D2X allows me to spot meter on any available focus point, even if the camera moves focus points while tracking a moving object.

Herb...
----- Original Message ----- From: "Cory Papenfuss" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <pentax-discuss@pdml.net>
Sent: Thursday, November 17, 2005 7:17 AM
Subject: Re: Manual focus screen

What I'd like to see is the ability to spot-meter at different spots.... say a selectable corner? That would fix a lot of the metering problems since center-weighted and matrix aren't as sensitive to one sensor being off. Is that possible, or is the center sensor different somehow so it allows spot metering?