On Nov 30, 2005, at 2:34 AM, Sylwester Pietrzyk wrote:

I think you're not entirely right. I have been using Mac computers for about 12 years in advertising. And I think Rob was thinking about pre Apple Talk over TCP/IP protocol over Ethernet. As such, even implemented over 100 Mb/s networks it was really slow. And it was until Apple implemented AppleTalk over TCP/IP protocol, which was at least 2x faster than plain, old AppleTalk working over Ethernet. These are not just numbers that I read somewhere - this is from my experience - the difference when we switched to Apple Talk over IP was huge, finally network communication was as fast as with Windows based PCs. I don't remember exactly, but I believe AppleTalk over TCP/IP was
available from OS 8.x onwards - this means second half of nineties.

I've been using Macintosh since very late 1983, several months before it was released to the publc (and about a decade before you...:-). The work I was referring to came about in the time between 1986 and 1988 as that is when I was working for NASA at the Jet Propulsion Laboratory.

AppleTalk over TCP/IP doesn't exist. You're referring to AppleTalk over ethernet, and more specifically AppleShare/Personal FileShare over ethernet.

Ethernet interfaces and adaption of other protocols became commonplace amongst higher-end Macintosh users starting about the end of 1986, about 7 years before you started using Macintosh in advertising, but many many installations based on serial AppleTalk were in place already before ethernet replaced them, because it was very affordable despite being slow. AppleTalk serial protocols, was supported and standard equipment by Apple in systems all the way up to 2000 and, yes, it only had 384Kbps performance. That's the slow connection you were originally using. Around 1993, most Apple computers had an ethernet port built-in, at least as optional equipment, and AppleTalk could be configured to function on either the serial or ethernet port.

Godfrey