A friend's cat disappeared in winter a few years ago.  She put up
notices with rewards for the cat's return around the neighborhood for
several months, but with no luck.  In April, her cat reappeared.
After some days, a woman appeared to apologize. The cat had been
visiting the woman regularly, was being fed by both families, and the
other woman thought it was a stray cat.  She took it with her to
Florida for several months in the winter.  Cat's vacation!
Regards,  Bob S.