Hi, beeing the MX the only pentax camera I've ever own, I *need* to
partecipate!!

On mine, with my flash (some cheap one, I don't like flash anyway)
hotshoe does not work, I used to use the sync cord (if it is the right
name).

The self timer float around only if it's already loaded. that is, you
pull it down (as to charge the self timer itself), and then, if you
try to move it, it will move and float around, until you press that
little button alredy pointed out.

I've loved my MX and I see several people share my feelings, I was
luky to have it from my father... It is the gear with which I've
started my photography experience, and I owe a lot to it...

ciao,
danilo.