Godfrey DiGiorgi wrote:
I'm with Paul and Shel. I *always* use a lens hood. The only exception is when it interferes with something (like the built in flash, possibly ... if I ever used it, that is).

I agree that always using a hood is a good practice. However, I find it difficult to live by that mantra. They take up so much space in camera bags. That's probably the biggest problem for me when I'm using the camera on the go.

And they make it hard to remove the lens cap unless you've got scrawny little children-size fingers. Part of the problem with the lens cap is Pentax's design. I like the pinch to remove idea, but the pinchers should be on the front of the cap (like Tamron caps) instead at the perimeter of the cap (Pentax FA cap style). It's awkward, and I've gotten finger prints on lenses many times trying to fumble with the cap while using a hood. ...so much for a hood protecting the lens.

I guess I need to look for a whole set of lens caps that work well with hoods.