Hernan wrote:

> I just read this at Boris's site
> (http://www.bdimitrov.de/kmp/extras/K-mount/Kaf.html):
>
> Speaking about multi-segment metering: "(...) since algorithm is rather
> complex, it is very difficult to judge when it will fail and in which
> "direction." Hence, it is not advisable to use exposure compensation
> together with multi-segment metering."
>
> So, would you use exposure compensation only in spot meter mode? What do you
> think? How much do you trust multi-segment metering?

With all due respect, I wouldn't pay much attention to this. I use exposure
compensation with multipattern metering all the time and in contradiction to urban
myth the metering doesn't really do weird unpredictable things. Its quite easy,
although it takes experience, to know how the multipattern metering reacts to various
situations. When this is said, the multipattern metering of the newer Pentax slr's are
top notch; they are quite possibly the best around. The sucess rate is very high and
you can basically rely on it. However, multipattern meters get get fooled in the same
way that any other meter; they just cope better than eg. center weighted meters but
the same logic and precausions apply. I always, when time permits, check the
multipattern readout with the spot meter. In the majority of cases I and the
multipattern meter agree. Exposure is, particularly in tricky lighting situations,
often a matter of taste; the photographer and the multi pattern metering might not
agree even when  the cameras choosen exposure cannot be considered  wrong.

Pål