On Feb 22, 2006, at 10:43 PM, Gautam Sarup wrote:

Actually, I'd be curious to know how many use more than one spot.

I normally leave the DS in automated multi-spot AF mode, with pattern metering enabled along with AF-AE linking, in Av exposure mode. When I disagree with the focus points it has selected, I flip the switch to enable manual focusing and take control myself. Doing that automatically disables the AF-AE linking, I believe, or at least makes it behave almost indistinguishably from CW Averaging. I use the EV compensation control often.

Works fine for me, and is faster than switching meter patterns, focus modes, etc all the time IMO. When it can handle both focus and exposure in an automated fashion, I let it do so.

Godfrey