Ken wrote:

I have a bit of theory on what Canon is doing on their APS-C (1.6) CMOS.  I
think they may have been convinced that going 10mp on 1.6 sensor might
actually begin to deteriorate the image quality because of denser pixel
pitch.  So, to go any higher safely, they found they have to at least go 1.3
or FF, thus 5D came out.  Unfortunately, "some" of their current lens line,
even including L lenses, are not quite compatible for the digital and the
proof is everywhere.  Also, FF sensor at 12mp level seems to have some
severe latitude problem and prone to things like camera blur etc.  That's
why I thought Canon did not take any risk of going higher mp just for the
sake of it.  I could be wrong but it seems to me that 30D sensor is a
matured technology.

If that is in fact true then Pentax's decision to base their high megapixel camera on a MF body with a larger then 35mm frame sensor is in fact a sound one. if not the most popular decision. The larger image circle of the 645 lenses should still be in the "sweet spot" of the sensor and hopefully the pixel size/density will allow for good higher ISO performance.

Butch