That's very simplified :)

Writing portable Unix software is quite an undertaking as there are many little differences in APIs, even though the systems tend to operate in much the same way. I've even had problems with shell scripts, although GNU utilities help a lot if they're installed.

Agreed. Happily, the GNU-utils have become the de-facto standard (and in general most feature-rich and easy-to-use) for making a unix(-like) OS go. I helped clean up VT's ECE UNIX lab a few years back. It's amazing how functional and less irritating Sun machines become once you install a full suite of GNU-utils on it. Archaic UNIX platforms are all tantalizingly similar, but when you sit down and try to *use* one you realize they're all slightly different.... just enough to be annoying.

Same with MacOSX. I used NeXT machines in undergrad, but primarily from the GUI. Now that I've played wit MacOSX a little bit, I see that under the hood little has changed. It's still a crusty, old-school UNIX under the hood.

-Cory