Tom C wrote:
Well THAT'S STUPID! One would think the software would be smart enough to see that the header line had changed and start a new thread.

Sometimes you want to change the subject line but keep to the old thread - eg I sometimes add "OT:" to the start of the subject if my reply is off-topic for the list but still part of that thread.

Basically, if you're not replying to an email, don't hit "reply"! :-)

Do you mean I've been screwing up the archives all these years and know one here has SCREAMED THEIR HEAD OFF at me?

I don't like to lecture people about netiquette ;-)

OTOH, Shel's email client does something weird for him - his replies often start new threads...