It seems to me that if there is a separate AE Lock button, then there's no
real reason to have the shutter button provide AE Lock, as well. So, the
manual may have mislead you.  More than likely, the guys that wrote the
manual just assumed that pushing the shutter button halfway down would
provide AE Lock, as it does in so many other cameras (Pentax included).
It's just something we'll have to get used to.  It's not a major problem.
In fact, it could be an advantage.  I don't know how many times I've
inadvertently tripped the shutter while seeking to achieve AE Lock. A button
specifically for that is actually a blessing.

Len
---