Out of focus rendering is a fundamental property of a particular lens... It's quite difficult to change a harsh rendering to a pleasing one. Mixtures of different kinds of blurring and filtering sometimes can help, but depending upon the particular image, they all fall apart ultimately.

Keeping the composition simple and working with a particular background when it is unavoidable just takes a lot lot of hand work and insight if you have a lens with harsh OOF rendering. There's not really much else you can do.

Godfrey