I have an interesting situation and I want to try to get a shot.

I keep a suet feeder on a tree near the bathroom window. The feeder brings in
woodpeckers, catbirds and several other species that I shoot pictures of. The
suet feeder has recently drawn the attention of a raccoon. It shows up every
night and finishes off whatever suet the birds didn't eat during the day.

The tree is about 12 feet from the house (guestimating) and I want to get a
picture of the little bandit raiding the feeder. I fully expect him to be aware
of me sitting there and he'll be on his guard. I figure I'll get one shot
before he hauls ringtail for the woods.

My thinking: I'll set up with a fairly wide angle lens (50mm or 100mm) to
include the context of the tree and the feeder. I have to prefocus the lens at
the correct distance because I won't be able to see well enough to focus in the
dark. I sure don't want to try any focus assist. I think it will scare him off.
If I sit quietly enough with shutter cable in hand and wait for the right
moment I might get a shot.

My question is whether I should set the flash on manual exposure and calculate
the aperture using the GN or whether I should use TTL flash metering. I'm a
little uneasy with the possibility that the camera will overexpose the raccoon
and the tree. I could use P-TTL with the AF-360 but I figure the higher power
AF-500 might give me a better chance.

I'll be shooting slide film with my MZ-S so exposure is critical.

Does anyone have any thoughts? Other ideas?

thanks

Tom Reese