Why do you have to 'try' an upload?  Are you sizing the image before
uploading or is there some software you use to do it all at once?

To do it best you should resize your image to the dimensions you want
and then after that, sharpen to taste for that size.  Then save it
with the amount of compression you can live with.  Lastly, upload the
image to your site.

--
Best regards,
Bruce