On Thu, Jul 20, 2006 at 05:38:54AM -0400, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> In a message dated 7/19/2006 1:50:54 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
> I keep feeling that I'm missing something.
>
> Godfrey
> =======
> I'm missing what Lightroom is supposed to be.
>
> I know Elements, and some of PS. How is Lightroom supposed to be different
> and/or better?

 o  It has an integrated image management system that is greatly
    superior to anything in Elements (ability to create collections
    of images from various shoots, to rate images and to only show
    images above a certain rating, to tag and sort based on keywords,
    etc., etc.)  And while it is quite able to create and maintain
    an image library for you (including converting to DNG while
    importing, if you so choose) it will also work with your images
    in their original folders if that's how you prefer to operate.

 o  The RAW conversion is far more powerful than that in Elements
    (although perhaps not quite as flexible as that in CS or CS2),
    and includes curves, lens profiles & camera profiles, plus a
    whole lot of other features I haven't played with to date.

 o  It's not an image editor (so no healing brush, layers, etc.).
    In fact it never creates a new image file (unless you tell it
    to do so) - it just stores the history of the adjustments you
    make to the image, and applies them when you select the image.

The one big drawback I see, at present, is that if an image is in
multiple collections then these are all references to the exact
same set of adjustments - there's no way to have both a colour
original and a B&W conversion in separate galleries.  Adobe know
this is a limitation, and will address this in a future release.

Lightroom is supposed to be your primary interface to digital
imaging.  It deals with importing and catalogueing your images
(including sorting, classifying and selecting those images that
you want to work on).  It also deals with adjustments you make
to the whole image (white balance, exposure, black point, white
point, brightness, contrast, ...), rotation and cropping.
For many people this is all they will need for a first print
(or export to web).  To go beyond this (selective touch-up on
just some parts of an image, etc..) you need an image editor
such as Elements, CS, CS2, or some other external program.